8 Tips For Your Conference Timeline Outline
There are many factors that will impact the conference timeline and initial steps to be taken when planning an event. It may also be difficult to specify exact norms for conference timelines as some events may require special lead times of up to four years due to their size, complexity or frequency. In other cases the opposite may be true and lead times may be just a matter of months. Finally what may be more important than the specific timelines, are the milestones to focus on, or the order in which planning or conference management is undertaken.
Conference Timeline Outline
This step involves gathering information, bringing together the right team, and bringing this all together in order to construct the outline and picture of the event to fulfill the criteria and expectations of the parent association. Ultimately this outline would provide for content that is topical and current in terms of subject matter in order to attract the right audience and provide target and active participation levels. As part of defining the scope of an outline, the following should be considered:
- Do you have the support and involvement of the related national industry/association, local academic or professional bodies as well as the Local Authorities (if applicable)?
- What venue options are there in your locale that will provide suitable facilities to hold the conference?
- Infrastructure and access – what is the accessibility for nationals who commonly attend the conference to the preferred location? What are the general conditions for infrastructure and logistics once the participant reach the selected destination?
- Have the scheduled or preferred dates for the perspective conference taken into account other events or conferences occurring at the destination at the same time? Additionally have conferences organisers studied seasonal/monthly impact on the destination such as high/low seasonal periods, public or religious holidays, and any other occurrences which influence infrastructure or accessibility to the city in question?
- What is the availability of conference facilities and hotels for the proposed dates?
- When will the event be awarded and what is the process and decision making steps for bidding?
- Obtain written offers from key suppliers, primarily the venue which includes details of the space available, quote for facilities and what is included and excluded in the overall price.
- Ensure a written confirmation for a provisional booking (do not sign a contract at this stage) is put in place at the onset so that you are guaranteed the venue will be available to you.
You can find much more detailed information by downloading our White Paper: How to Plan an International Conference.
Finding speakers is vital for any conferences, as well as conferences, are essential for interacting with people within your profession. With the increasing number of congresses, you would think it is easy to find a great speaker. There are thousands of speakers, but most of them do not have what it takes to appeal to […]
We CARE – our clients, participants, employees and planet deserve our care and attention. Although Congrex has a “We care” philosophy for many years, our focus had been on our clients, participants and employees (and that will, of course, continue!). We have also added “planet” to this list and are committed to making the world […]
Conference networking is a valuable takeaway in the form of new relationships and essential contacts. Apart from the learning experience, a conference provides excellent opportunities for networking, business or career development. However, if you want networking to be a game-changer, you need to approach it with the right attitude. Before attending a conference, you need […]